It’s a rare opportunity when you can shake the hand of the person who not only planted, but harvested and DELIVERED your fruit and/or veggies to, your, door. I don’t want to ruin the fantasy I have playing in my head about him digging up my little french radishes, putting them in a cooled green bin and driving them over to me personally just to say hi…but he basically did just that.
I give you Doorganics Tacos.
- 1 tablespoon, vegetable oil
- 2 cups fresh white or yellow corn kernels
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced ( I used purple)
- 4 french radishes, finely diced
- 4 green onions, green parts diced only
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large tomato, roughly chopped
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- 1 cup cooked black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 warm corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup salsa
- goat cheese or Daiya to taste
Heat half of oil in a large skillet over high heat. Toast corn 5 minutes, stirring; season with salt. Remove corn; set aside. Heat remaining oil in skillet. Cook onion, stirring, until it caramelizes, 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 to 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, both peppers and cook 1 to 2 minutes, until warm-I like ‘em crunchy still. Add zucchini; cook until tender but not mush, 6-10 minutes; season with salt. Add corn, beans, oregano and pepper. Cook 3 minutes. Split filling among tortillas; top each with 1 1/2 tsp salsa, a few bits of radish, green onion and 1 tsp cheese. This makes a TON more than 8 tacos worth. I’m taking it to lunch tomorrow sans shells.