Today is Saturday and that means football! These are a tailgating favorite. You could dump just about anything you wanted into these in terms of chip, or chip-like substance. Sub different flavored chocolate chips, use toffee chips, peanut butter chips if you like (the later will flip your cookies from vegan to vegetarian). I like these because they come together in a flash and the only person that I’ve found that doesn’t like ‘em is my friend Andrea and that is because she is allergic to coconut (which is a horrible thing to be allergic to). I scooped a few out before the coconut so she wouldn’t miss out
photo: Hell Yeah It’s Vegan
- 2 c unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1½ c vegan butter
- 1½ c granulated sugar
- 1½ c light brown sugar
- 1/2 c applesauce (this subs for your egg and oil)
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 3 c flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 c vegan chocolate chips, Ghiradelli brand is accidentally vegan
- 3 c rolled oats
- 2 c chopped pecans, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Measure coconut into a small bowl and stir in 1 tbsp warm water and 2 tbsp sugar; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whip the butter until fluffy, add sugars and cream together until smooth.
- Add applesauce and vanilla and beat.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, powder, soda, and spices.
- Add to wet ingredients and beat until well mixed.
- Fold in the coconut, nuts, oats and chocolate chips until evenly distributed.
- Use an scoop to form balls of dough for jumbo cookies, and flatten slightly.
- Bake on greased sheets for 10-12 minutes, or until golden.
Adapted from Hell Yeah It’s Vegan and Vegan Cookies Invade the Cookie Jar by Isa